Shum skates his way to U.S. National team

kevin team

A jacket representing the U.S. National Figure Skating Team. A jacket only awarded to the most elite athletes. A jacket now owned by U.S. National Ice Skating team member senior Kevin Shum.

“The jacket is special in the skating world because only the top people have it,” Kevin said. “If you see someone with that jacket, you know they’re a committed athlete.”

Kevin qualified for the team after placing sixth at nationals earlier this year. As a member of Team USA, he represents the country in international figure skating competitions.

Because the National figure skating team does not have an official training facility, Kevin continues to practice at home at the Oakland Ice Rink. He spends two hours a day on the ice, six days a week. When he is nearing a competition, Kevin said he usually amps up his time on the ice to three hours a day.

“We train on our own but we still get monitored,” Kevin said.

Kevin said that he and his coach attend special competitions in order to assess his progress as well as to receive mental training.

“They are monitoring all the time so that they know [my] status and make sure [I’m] fit enough to compete,” Kevin said

As well as being physically demanding, being on Team USA is a mental challenge.

“[I] have a name to live up to,” Kevin said. “They expect results and they want medals. If [I] don’t medal it’s a disappointment to U.S. figure skating.”

Two years ago he made the cut for Team USA, but had to forfeit his spot after injuring himself after Nationals.

“It makes it a lot more special knowing that I had to work a lot harder to get that spot again,” Kevin said.

His brother Jonathan Shum, Class 2012, said that Kevin puts a lot of work into his skating.

“I’m proud of him because he works really hard to accomplish things both on and off the ice,” Jonathan said.

As a member of Team USA, Kevin has to work to juggle both his academic and athletic lives. He said he is constantly prioritizing different aspects of his life.

“I just have to think about what’s more important at the moment,” Kevin said. “I have to do that on a day-by-day basis.”

Kevin spends an average of two to three hours a day on homework. He has three free periods to help accommodate his busy skating schedule.

“Last year I had seven classes and that was a lot,” Kevin said. “This year since I’m competing a lot more internationally and across the country, I will be missing a lot of school.”

In the beginning of the school year Shum missed every Friday to travel to Los Angeles to train. He would fly down on Thursday night, spend the entire weekend skating and return Sunday night.

“I just had to make up assignments on my own,” Kevin said. “I usually worked on my homework on the plane and when I got there I tried to be as productive as I could.”

He said he is currently taking a break from training in Los Angeles to focus on the SAT and Nov. 1 deadline.

Kevin said one of his favorite parts about being on the National team is receiving international assignments.

“I love to travel and compete outside the US,” Kevin said.

Kevin has traveled as far as Russia and Japan to skate. He said he has enjoyed meeting skaters from all over the world, especially from countries where one would not expect figure skating to exist.

“There was this guy from India and it was like ‘woah,’” Kevin said.

Senior Minhong Yang, a friend of Shum’s, is also proud of Kevin.

“I think it’s very amazing how he gets to put on that Team USA jacket and accomplish remarkable achievements and still ace everything in school,” Yang said. “It takes a lot of effort and determination.”