Yearbook considers changing name from Clan-o-Log

The Violet. The Plaid. The Kilt. The Thistle. The Crad. The Bard.

These are six of the names the yearbook staff, currently known as the Clan-o-log, is considering to replace the outdated title, yearbook advisor Jody Weverka said.

The yearbook staff is accepting name ideas and requests, and plan on proposing the name change to ASB in a couple of weeks, Weverka said.

“We’re trying to be as transparent and inclusive as we can,” Weverka said.

The Clan-o-log is the name created for the original yearbook in 1921 and has been kept since. This year marks the completion of the 97th volume of the Piedmont Yearbook, said yearbook staff member sophomore Max Podell.

“The name follows our school’s Scottish theme,” Podell said.

The school’s original fight song was the Clansmen but it was changed to the Fighting Scotsmen, yearbook editor junior Roxy Moss said.

Despite the historical significance, over the past couple of years, members of the yearbook class have debated whether to change the name, Podell said.

Although it was considered appropriate in 1921, the name Clan-o-log could now be seen as having negative connotations because of the association with the word Klan, Moss said.

“Every year that I have taught yearbook the staff or the editors have been reluctant to use the current name somewhere,” Weverka said.

So far, many of the ideas the yearbook class has come up with or received from parents and alumni are based on the school’s Scottish theme, such as playing off the color purple, Moss said.

“[The yearbook name] represents a tradition or represents a set of values,” Weverka said. “It represents a tone of voice for not just the publication, but for the school.”

The yearbook is three years away from the 100th anniversary of the name Clan-o-Log, Podell said.

“It’s so much pressure because it’s going be the name until the next time someone changes it, which might be in another hundred years,” Podell said.

The yearbook class can be contacted with new ideas through their email which is piedmonthighyearbook@gmail.com, Weverka said.