Lam makes national team training camp

Racing down the field, flying past defenders. She takes the ball on her foot, guiding it with graceful strides. Just one more defender to beat. She shoots, she scores, the ball crashes into the back of the net, excitement floods her face.

Freshman Audrey Lam has been playing soccer since she was four years old and simply loves it. The midfielder’s passion for the game and unceasing competitiveness, along with her talent, give her an edge and set her apart on the field. Last October, Lam was invited to a training camp for the U-15 Girls’ Youth Soccer National Team in Kansas City. The camp was comprised of the top 100 girls in the country born in 2005. After the camp, the group was narrowed down to 50 girls, with Lam being one of them.

“[The training camp] was such an incredible experience,” Lam said. “Everyone knew what to do on and off the ball and everything just flowed so smoothly. It was definitely challenging playing with such talented people, but I had so much fun.”

On the field, Lam is smooth and fluid. She garnered the attention of national team scouts who came to her games and watched her play at local one-day U.S. Soccer Training Centers, where the best players in each region are invited to showcase their skills.

“Audrey plays simple, but also really smart,” junior Anjuli Turner said. “She’s very technical, and just plays the game the right way.”

Lam has a remarkable presence on the field. Lam’s dedication and passion for the sport allow her to continually improve her game, Turner said.

“She works incredibly hard individually to maintain the level that she’s at, but she works for her team as well,” Turner said. “She’s always supportive and determined to make everyone around her better.”

Lam’s persistence and passion are incessant, even when playing against older opponents who are stronger and faster than her, which she often does. Lam said every time she takes the field, she gives it her all.

“I’m hardworking, competitive, passionate, and I love to win,” Lam said. “And I never give up.”

Lam’s soccer aspirations go beyond the national team.

“My proudest moment so far has been making the [national team] training camps, but I am also focused on being looked at by colleges. I hope to play college soccer, and have always wanted to go to UCLA,” Lam said. “Beyond that, my ultimate goal is to play soccer at the professional level.”

Lam’s club team, Lamorinda, is a U.S. Soccer Development Academy (DA) team, which prohibits her from playing high school. According to the DA website, the DA wants to maximize players’ potential by minimizing the risk of injury and providing a consistent, high-level playing environment, so Lam will not be suiting up for PHS this winter.

While Lam is incredibly impressive on the field, she is equally impressive off the field.

“What I admire most about Audrey is not so much her ability on the field, but her loyalty,” Turner said. “She’s always there for her friends and her teammates, no matter what.”