Mexico makes memories

210 students. 52 adults. 4 days. 16 houses. Mexico Magic.

Tecate, Mexico is the most magical place I have ever been to, even more magical than Disneyland.

Students and adults affiliated with the Piedmont Community Church look forward year round to travel to Tecate, Mexico to build houses for Mexican families.

Spring Break is a time to visit schools, go on vacation, chill at home or go on the Mexico Mission Trip with the Piedmont Community Church.

People always talk about how awesome the trip is, but until you actually travel down to Mexico you will then fully understand how great this experience is.

The Mexico Mission Trip can be described in one word as Magical. The Mexico Magic is more than just the hundreds of seemingly neverending Facebook pictures.

I do not believe that there is one person who only goes on the trip to get community service hours. People go on the trip and continue to go on the trip because this trip brings the community together to help families in need. The memories of playing with the young local kids and handing over the keys to the family when the house is finally finished are irreplaceable.

This trip is not like any regular community service project, it’s much more.

By going on this trip you meet people that you normally would not. You build relationships with these people that will last for a long time. While on this trip you also strengthen your relationships with people who you already know well.

Mexico is a time for everyone to embrace looking gross. No one judges you for having a constant layer of dirt on your skin or stucco caked in your hair.

The Magic really comes through the Mexican families that the houses are built for. On the last day of building each team hands over the keys to the house to the family members. Since the relationships between the teams and the families have grown so much throughout the week this is by far the most emotional part of the trip.

Before we drive away from our work sites back to the campsite, we must say our last goodbyes to our families.

Each team with their family circles around says prayer and has a key ceremony. At this time team members have a chance to share their last thoughts and well wishes for their family and hand over the key to the house.

Mexico is not a time to goof off and have photoshoots. In order to get the most out of the trip be engaged the entire time. Break out of your comfort zone and build relationships with the families and local kids. Also be open to meeting new people.

As soon as January comes around and applications are out, the trip fills up in a matter of days. I encourage every student who is interested in the trip to apply as soon as possible next year.My advice for first timers this year is to be prepared for any type of weather. It can go from scorching hot to a hurricane over night.

This is the last time for us seniors to attend, let’s make the most out of it.