Key Club Feature

Sabrina Oliphant
Key Club during a meeting

Key Club, run by junior Sabrina Oliphant and faculty advisor Jana Branisa, meets on Wednesdays in room 206.

“[The purpose of this club] is to help the community through service.” Oliphant said, “We do all sorts of community service, like bake sales to raise money for UNICEF, or trash cleanups.”

During their weekly meetings the club strategizes, organizes, and actively engages in community service initiatives spanning Piedmont and the broader Bay Area. They plan and execute impactful projects that contribute to the betterment of the local community. 

“The club makes use of student effort to do good deeds in the interest of public service.” junior Club Member Torsten Olsen said. 

“For me it’s a good way to get some community service hours in during the week, but more than that I really do enjoy the work, and it’s immediately apparent how it can help people.” Olsen Said. 

“It’s a great chance to do fun community service projects, get hours for honors society, and build leadership. Plus the meetings are pretty fun.” Oliphant said.

The week of Jan 22, Key Club is starting a soccer equipment drive for an organization called Soccer Without Borders. Soccer Without Borders helps newcomer youth(refugees and immigrants) by forming communities through soccer teams. In addition, they also provide academic and language-learning support and they run purely off donations. There are collection bins at Piedmont High School, Piedmont Middle School, and Beach. 

“We’re looking for all kinds of soccer equipment, like black shorts, socks, shin guards, pop-up goals, and especially soccer balls (size 5) and cleats.” Oliphant said. The drive ended on Friday, Jan. 26.