Armstrong signs with Burger Records

The intimate crowd cheered as one of songs came to an end, the pounding of the drums still ringing in the audience’s ears as they find themselves in anticipation of what song would come next.

In August, junior Jakob Armstrong signed with Burger Records as a solo artist.

Armstrong signed after uploading his first songs to Soundcloud this summer under the username of Jakob Danger. Armstrong has been recognized by sources such as the Rolling Stone Magazine and actress Zooey Deschanel, who shared a link of one of his songs to her Facebook page.20151015_191736

“I’ve been writing songs for a while and wanted to see what would happen if I recorded them,” Armstrong said. “I put them on Soundcloud this summer and things got crazy.”

In addition to playing the guitar, ukulele, drums and bass, Armstrong is the lead singer in his band, Jakob Danger. His bandmembers are brothers senior Chris Malaspina and freshman Enzo Malaspina.

Although he is in a band, Armstrong was signed to Burger Records as a solo artist. His band was not yet assembled when he recorded the songs that Burger Records heard.

“He’s very talented at writing music, he’s very lyrical,” Chris said. “He’s overall just a cool guy to be around.”

Balancing school work and focusing on music is not overwhelming, Armstrong said. He does his homework later at night, which gives him time to work on his music and write songs earlier in the day or in his free time.

“I’m still writing and recording, so I will probably put out an album after the EP performance,” Armstrong said.

Armstrong said his music is classified as new wave punk, which has a unique sound to it. Some of his current songs are “King of the World,” “Waiting to Dance” and “Don’t Try”.

“When I saw him on stage during his first show, he was naturally really good up there,” junior Cade Becker said about his long time friend.

Armstrong’s band has performed twice and has one upcoming show at 1-2-3-4 Go! Records on Nov. 6. Their latest performance on Oct. 15 was also the release of their EP, which included some of their most recent music.

“Wherever I am during my senior year is when I will be able to decide whether I want to do this as a professional career,” Armstrong said. “I guess we’ll have to wait and see.”