Witter Track Construction Update

Sophie Hess
Witter field and track

Witter field construction finished February 5. There have been five varsity soccer games there, with a 3-2 record. According to the PUSD website, the track will not be completed until August 12, 2024.

Outside of soccer, lacrosse players are excited about the new field.

“I’m looking forward to playing on [Witter], it looks really nice,” said boys lacrosse freshman Justin Amen.

Girls lacrosse player and junior Chloe Graham also complimented the new field.

“[Witter] is really nice, we have lines for girls lacrosse which we didn’t have before,” said Graham. “It’s nice to have a field that drains. We practiced in the rain and it drained well.” The renovation of the field was prompted by frequent flooding, caused by poor drainage.

Construction has interrupted practices for spring field sports, like lacrosse and track and field. For the first two weeks of its season lacrosse practiced both at Witter and Laney, a 15 minute drive away. Meanwhile, track and field will practice there for all practices except those on Monday for the rest of the season.

“The only thing is that you have to anticipate the timing of going to Witter or Laney, going to Laney is longer,” said girls lacrosse player junior Jordan Kim.

Track and field athlete senior Breah Bell was disappointed not to have a home track for her senior year.

“I had planned to be going for the record in the 100 meter this year. Having a new, bouncy, track would definitely help and I really had my hopes up, but then it didn’t happen,” Bell said.  “We found out we wouldn’t get the new track until summer and my season would be over by then, so now I have to work extra hard. It is what it is, gotta do the best you can with what you have.”

Despite the difficulty, Bell was appreciative of Laney’s facilities.

“Practice at Laney is really fun actually, because when the sun sets it’s really pretty,” Bell said.

The lacrosse season has started for both girls and boys. According to MaxPreps, Girls Lacrosse beat Dublin and Head Royce while losing to Acalanes giving them a 2-1 record. Boys Lacrosse lost to Serra High School and Casa Grande giving them a 0-2 record.