MHS makes ‘magic’ with intentional community building

Every year, roughly one in three students is new to MHS, a turnover rate 10 percent higher than PHS. Because grade sizes increase by about five students every year, with the freshman class at roughly 10 and the senior class at roughly 25, the graduating class makes up approximately one third of the school, principal Shannon Fierro said.

“It’s always a bunch of new faces which is why at Millenium we focus on community building at the beginning of every single year because it is a new school every single year,” Fierro said.

On Aug. 24, MHS went on a day long retreat, facilitated by the Mosaic Project, in order to bring students together and really get to know one another, Fierro said.

“After the school retreat we had on Friday, everyone knows everyone,” new junior Kylie Halmi said. “We all know different things about each other that you couldn’t have in a bigger school.”

On Aug. 30, the ASB class organized a taco lunch for all students, so that new students would have a place to meet new people, said ASB co-president and senior Kenya Collins.

“It might be a little bit scary for [new students] at first because everyone knows each other so well,” senior Nick Wilde said, “but after a little bit they realize that everyone here wants to get to know them.”

Fierro said that the students went to this event with the intention of sitting next to somebody new, a mindset they have continued throughout the year.

“Most of the students have introduced themselves to me, which is really nice,” Halmi said.

However, the teachers also play a huge role in creating a space that integrates new students so seamlessly. Before school starts, MHS holds a faculty meeting where they learn about the new students, adding 24 new names to their memory, Fierro said.

“The teachers are really welcoming, and they always want to get to know new people and build a close bond,” said ASB co-president and senior Kristen Seyranian.

Both Wilde and Halmi said that MHS is incredibly tightly knit and supportive, and every student and teacher knows each other’s name.

“The sense of community is so much stronger than at my old school,” Halmi said. “It’s just the most welcoming community.”

In addition, every student that was interviewed said MHS readily embraces differences. Wilde said that they understand everyone is going through something, so a “you do you” mentality permeates every space.

“I can do weird things like wear a full suit to school with my suspenders and tie,” Wilde said. “and no one will make fun of me.”

Fierro said the level of individuality and empathy is unparalleled. At the Mosaic retreat, students got into groups with five people they did not interact with as much or know at all. Then, a teacher, Seyranian, Collins, and Fierro shared what people would know, “if they really knew me,” creating a space for other students to share about themselves.

Fierro said, “I just saw these connections and thought that’s an only at Millenium kind of magic.”