Rebuilding California Homes

With the suffocating, ghastly aura drifting down from the Chico area gone, the constant reminder about the California wildfires has disappeared with the wind and rain. The days of smoke that shut down schools and regular civilian activity prompted people to take notice of the unforgivable destruction of fire and the thousands who have lost their identities. With our now normal air quality, however, many have forgotten the towns and their inhabitants that burned to ashes.

According CNN, over 6,700 structures have burned to a crisp as a result of the Camp Fire, and 80 to 90 percent of the city’s homes are gone. With the entire town evacuated, hundreds of civilians are displaced. People have lost homes, belongings, pets, and 86 even lost their lives. With the town nearly decimated, the town’s housing shortage are causing people to dip into their savings just to find a place to live. The town as well as the people bear the physical scars of the fire.

The TPH Editorial Board urges students and the Piedmont community as a whole to not forget about the victims that are still searching for places to live. Last week Mexico teams were selected. Roughly 300 students and adults will be heading down to Tijuana, Mexico in April to rebuild 18 houses for disadvantaged families. We compels students and members of the community to bring the skills they learn and develop in Mexico back to California. It is not our intent to rebuke people for going to mexico. Instead, we only want to point out other opportunities that they can utilize their experience.

Others in the community can help those in Paradise, CA not only by donating funds and supplies but also by reaching out through holiday cards located in the Wellness Center.

The Mexico trip is a great service. Large numbers of Piedmont students participate in every year and help forgo their comfortable situations to help others. But we should not forget to also help our own community.