New security measures

New security measures

In addition to the Student Resource Officer, other safety measures are being discussed by the district, Principal Adam Littlefield said. All new measures must first be approved by the School Board, Littlefield said.

The Facilities Master Plan, developed in 2015-2016, outlined the construction plans for the three schools, according to the official PUSD website. A fence, or secure perimeter, was mentioned in the Facilities Master Plan, and is being discussed as a possible security measure by the district, Littlefield said.

“In the plan [Facilities Master Plan], there is fencing,” Littlefield said. “Now, whether or not we actually end up getting fencing, I don’t know. Again, that would be something that the school board would end up approving.”

Assistant Principal Irma Muñoz said that the district is taking in many considerations when it comes to the fence including the cost, uneven terrain and multiple entry points, and how the fence will affect off-campus lunches.

“But first we need to decide if we are even going to have [a fence], ” Muñoz said.

New security cameras are also in discussion, but the School Board has not approved them yet, Littlefield said.

“[The cameras] would be outside,” Littlefield said. “There wouldn’t be anything in a classroom, there wouldn’t be anything in the hallways, and there wouldn’t be anything in the bathroom.”

The School Board will discuss these new security measures at their meetings. The School Board agendas are posted on the district website, and all board meetings are open to the public, Muñoz said.