Men’s varsity soccer wins first league championship since 2009

As the clock ticks away at lightning speed, the score reads 0-0. Co-captain and senior Will Kalmbach has the ball on a breakaway. He closes the distance between him and the box. The crowd rises in anticipation. He kicks it. In seemingly slow motion, the ball moves toward the goal. The crowd erupts into mayhem as the ball rips into the bottom left corner.

“It was an incredible moment for our whole team,” junior Ricardo Barker said.

Barker said that under the leadership of varsity head coach Todd Sullivan and assistant coach Nikolai Littleton, the team has been able to maintain an undefeated record in league matches this season.

“It’s a pretty incredible change considering how poorly we did last year,” Barker said. “The team has definitely come together this year.”

Senior Patrick Filler said he believes the coaching staff has had a huge impact on the team’s success.

“Nikolai and Todd are exceptional coaches,” Filler said. “They work well with us and with each other, and they’re just great leaders who the guys can look up to.”

Littleton said that he believes the most important aspect of a coach is understanding the players.

“I know the players strengths and weaknesses, both the kids I had on JV and the ones that are new,” Littleton said. “Being able to motivate and get the most out of your players is very important for a coach.”

Barker also said the coaches are doing incredible work for the team.

“They work with us to iron out all of our weaknesses,” Barker said. “It’s definitely not easy sometimes, but the team is always improving.”

Barker said that having returning members has had a massive impact on the team’s season.

“We’re all super close which definitely shows on the field,” Barker said. “We’re able to communicate easily which is very helpful.”

Barker said that beyond just being close with the team, the new formation for the team has been instrumental on this season’s success.
“I made this formation based on the personnel we have and honestly, I didn’t expect it to work out this well,” Littleton said.

Barker said the team had some trouble with organization at the beginning of the year, but now it has xsmoothed out.

“It’s been a crazy ride and I’m enjoying it,” Littleton said.

Filler said he agreed that having played with many of the same players for a year has been a big factor in their 7-0 league record.

“All of the guys are fun to be around which translates to the field,” Filler said. “We all just want to have fun, and winning is by far the most fun.”

While the team has many returning players this year, it also includes two freshmen, Andre Stankiewicz and Conner Curtis.

“Having freshman on the team is uncommon but is definitely good for the team, especially when they’re as skilled as Andre and Conner,” Barker said.

Stankiewicz said that he always wanted to be a freshman on varsity.

“I was really hoping during eighth grade that I would be able to play on varsity when I went into ninth,” Stankiewicz said.

Barker said that despite their already impressive success, he feels the season will only get better.

“The team is playing so well I think we have a real shot at winning NCS,” Barker said. “Honestly, I think the season will only go uphill from here.”