Missing teacher problem persists into new year

It is the beginning of a new year, but the same teacher shortage issue faces PHS. Last year, six physics classes and four Spanish classes did not have a teacher for the first semester, resulting in students taking the courses online. This year, three sections of math and special education are without a permanent teacher, causing PHS teachers to step in as substitutes and add to their workloads. As we enter the sixth week of school, no one knows if or when permanent teachers will be hired.

Technology coordinator and computer teacher Jana Branisa stepped up to fill two out of the three unfilled Integrated Math 1 (IM1) sections. The other section has been filled by a different in-house substitute teacher each week, including computer science teacher Christensen, math teacher John Hayden, and special education teacher Hook.

Branisa has a mathematics degree and teaching credential. Hayden and math teacher Diane Miller have been helping Branisa plan the curriculum. For the sake of consistency, all three sections are being taught the same.

“We’re trying to make everything easier for the students,” Branisa said. “I was happy to help out because I’m familiar with math and it’s better for students to have an in-house substitute.”

In order to be able to substitute the two sections of math, Branisa has had to sacrifice her two preparation periods. She now teaches three computer science classes, two math classes, and has two technology coordinator periods. She elects to do her preparation at home, so she can fully focus during the school day, Branisa said.

“These days are very long for me,” Branisa said. “I get up at 5:30 a.m. and don’t stop working until 7:00 p.m. Effectively, it’s a 14 hour day, which is not sustainable.”

Freshman Liam Campbell, who is in Branisa’s first period math class, said that the uncertainty of having a substitute teacher has been unnerving.

“At first, [Ms. Branisa] said that she was going to be here for two weeks,” Campbell said. “Now it’s been three weeks and we still don’t have a teacher. It’s weird because I don’t know when this new teacher’s going to show up.”

Branisa said it has been difficult to build relationships with her students. Some of her students are having a hard time connecting with her because she is only a temporary teacher.

“IM1 is an important year of math and this is not a great way to start for these freshmen, ” Branisa said. “The bottom line is a permanent teacher needs to be hired.”

Campbell said that despite the difficult circumstances, Branisa has been working very hard and has been a good teacher.

“Considering it’s a job she’s not used to, Ms. Branisa has done really well,” Campbell said. “Sometimes I forget she’s a sub.”

Principal Adam Littlefield agrees that permanent teachers must be hired, but the process is difficult due to the high living expenses in the Bay Area. Littlefield and the PHS administration have been interviewing potential applicants for the unfilled positions since March. In some cases, they offered people positions but they turned it down, Littlefield said.

“We’re offering part-time positions right now, and many teachers need to be able to take on a full-time position,” Littlefield said. “To be able to be in a part-time position is really challenging financially, especially in the Bay Area.”

Not only PHS, but many schools across the Bay Area are suffering from teacher shortages, according to ABC7 News. Littlefield, who was previously the principal of San Marin High School, echoed this claim.

“When I was in my previous school district, we were looking for science teachers, math teachers, special education teachers, and Spanish teachers every year,” Littlefield said.

Special education is a particular area with a lack of teachers, said Homebase teacher Nick Bruno. The PHS special education department experienced the same thing last year, as a teacher was not hired until October of last year.

“Since there are fewer special ed kids, fewer people aspire to teach special ed students,” Bruno said. “Also, it just doesn’t pay well.”

Anne Smith, a former PMS teacher, has been substituting in special education for the time being. However, PHS is leaning towards other alternatives, Bruno said.

“If a full-time teacher isn’t hired soon, I think [the PHS administration] would look to contract someone out from an agency instead,” Bruno said. “That person would stay until someone is hired.”

However. Littlefield said that he appreciates the mentality of the students and teachers at PHS.

“I appreciate the substitute teachers that have been in there,” Littlefield said. “I appreciate the fact that the kids are working hard with those substitutes, even though they’re not regular teachers and we hope to have a solution soon.”