Voting 101: a guide for first-time voters

As the state and presidential elections draw closer and the presidential hopefuls keep whittling down, TPH seeks to clear up the voting process for students.
Those who are 16 or 17 and are in accordance with these requirements can pre-register to vote here. Pre-registering means that the person will automatically become eligible to vote when they turn 18.
The American Independent Party, Democratic Party, and Libertarian Party will allow those who register as “No Party Preference” (NPP) voters to vote in their primary elections. Other political parties do not allow those who register as NPP to vote in their primaries.

In California, the deadline to register to vote for any election is 11:59:59 p.m. Pacific Time on the 15th calendar day before that Election Day.
The 2020 Presidential Primary Election will take place on March 3, 2020, so the deadline will be on Feb. 17. The 2020 Presidential Election will be held on Nov. 3, 2020, so the deadline will be Oct. 19.
Early voting in California begins on Feb. 3, and those who signed up for vote-by-mail during their registration should start receiving their ballots. Early voting lasts through Feb. 25. People can go to in-person polling places during this period to cast their votes.
According to the California Secretary of State office, mail-in ballots must be postmarked on or before Election Day and received by the local county elections office no later than 3 days after Election Day. People can still bring their mail-in ballot to any polling place in the state between 7 a.m. and 8 p.m. on Election Day if they are unsure whether their ballot will mail in time.