Piedmont responds to California wildfires

Many parts of California have been devastated by the recent fires. The 2018 wildfire season was the deadliest and most destructive season on record, with more than 7,500 fires burning over 1.6 million acres of land, according to CAL Fire. The current wildfire season is on pace to be even more disastrous, with over 6,400 fires burning nearly 250,000 acres of land so far.

Although Piedmont has not been touched by the recent fires, it has been directly affected by the smoke and air quality. Within just the past two years, a day of school, a football game, and a dance have all been cancelled due to poor air quality and safety concerns.

The community has responded to the fires in a variety of ways.

The Piedmont Fire Department (PFD) has helped combat these fires in affected areas. “PFD has sent many fire fighters, as well as engines, to help contain the Kincaid fire in Sonoma County, along with other recent proximal fires,” fire chief Bret Black said.

The PFD has a long history of aiding other agencies. For example, PFD sent aid and resources for relief to the fires in Paradise and Santa Rosa in 2018, and the Oakland Hills fire in 1991.

“I urge people to make sure they are self-sufficient,” Black said, “Dealing with fires can be an extensive process. People need to have supplies that will last multiple days.”

Similarly, this year ASB has helped to provide aid and relief to victims of the fires. The ASB class held a drive to raise money for people who had been displaced from their homes.

“We donated all the money we raised to the charity Supplying Aid for Victims of Emergency (SAVE),” said junior class president Audrey Edel.

The Fire Drive ended, but ASB will continue with its relief efforts.

“The class is very focused on helping the communities that have been affected around us, and those who have suffered,” Edel said.

The school district, too, is responding to the fires by reflecting on its policies.

“We have to worry about the air quality and the safety of our students, but additionally with the PG&E power shut-offs that are possible in the event of wildfires,” superintendent Randall Booker said.

With the increase in fire risk and recent fires, smoke and poor air quality are likely to occur more frequently, Black said. This could lead to more school closures for safety and health reasons.

The potential problem is that there are a certain number of instructional minutes the district must provide, and an increase in school closures could force the district to make up the time by lengthening or adding school days, Booker said.