Jazz Band Awarded at Festival

From left to right: Dr. Andrea Mullen, sophomore Jason Machle, sophomore Will Davies, junior Connor stratman, junior Liam Charron, senior Iain Brown, sophomore Alex Tafapolsky, at the CMEA Bay Section jazz festival.

On Saturday, Feb. 1, the California Music Educators Association (CMEA) awarded the jazz combo, comprised of six members from the PHS jazz band, with the highest possible rating at a festival in Palo Alto.

The festival was held primarily for jazz bands and groups. Jazz band teacher Dr. Andrea Mullen selected the jazz combo, which includes senior and trombonist Iain Brown, bassist and sophomore Alex Tafapolsky, drummer and sophomore Will Davies, saxophonist and junior Connor Stratman, pianist and junior Liam Charon, and guitarist and sophomore Jason Machle, to perform at the event.

These six students play at a very high level, Dr, Mullen said, and I chose them because I thought they were ready to face the challenge of preparing for a concert.

Each group performed in front of three judges, who either awarded a fair, good, or superior rating.

“They were given three superior ratings, which constitutes a unanimous superior rating,” Mullen said.

This group worked incredibly hard in preparation for the concert, Mullen said, and they are more than deserving of the award.

Every Friday for the past few weeks, the jazz combo has come in early to work with a clinician and rehearse.

“They have been working relentlessly over the past few months both individually and as a group,” Mullen said, “I’m really proud of these kids because they were recognized and rewarded for their hard work.”

Being given this award means a lot to the group, Brown said.

“We have worked really hard recently and it’s nice to be acknowledged among other groups of talented people,” Brown said.

For Brown, just being able to play and perform with the group is almost as rewarding as being awarded.

“It’s a very tight knit group, and I have a great time just jamming out,” Brown said. Brown also really enjoys playing in the jazz band.

“It’s really fun when you can just stop thinking because you are so absorbed in a piece,” Brown said, “and you can just lose your mind in the music.”