Q&A with new Board of Education members

Hilary Cooper

Veronica Anderson Thigpen

How do you think your background and qualifications will help you serve during your term? “I have volunteered extensively in our community and have spent a lot of time on our campuses working with teachers, staff and administrators. In addition, my experience raising money for our schools has given me a thorough understanding of our district’s budget. I also have a background in education. I was a first grade teacher and more recently, I have taught as a substitute at the high school.” “My background is in communications, public policy and community engagement. I can draw on all of these areas of experience to add value as I serve on the school board.”
What are your main goals during this term? “My main goal is to make sure the district is serving the needs of our students, so my first goal will be getting you all back in class. Once we have reopened safely, I hope to focus my work on creating an environment where your student voice is prioritized and where your social and emotional needs are met. I also hope to propose some measures that would help create a more diverse school population.” “My priorities are maintaining educational excellence as the district continues to navigate the uncertainties of this pandemic; implementing the district’s equity policies; and elevating student voice.”
What are your current plans for returning students to in-person classes? “Hopefully, Alameda County will drop back down to the red tier and we can begin our transition back to class, starting with grades K-2. I believe that small cohorts of 6 – 12 students ensure a safe environment for students and teachers, so we should return our secondary students back to class as well. Alameda County will have to approve such a move, and as a board member, I will fight for that to happen.” “Alameda County has recently been assigned to the highest risk category for COVID. Since our schools were not already open, they must remain closed until risk levels decline. My plan is to monitor plans and preparations and agreements to ensure that our schools are ready to open as soon as we are permitted to do so. “
How will you support PHS/MHS students as a member on the Board? “I will make myself available to all students who wish to reach out, through email and also through visits (virtually and hopefully in-person) to both campuses. I hope to schedule time to talk with students so that I can understand the issues you face and the needs you have. I would also like to work with students on projects that you prioritize. I am ready to hear from you, so please reach out!” “I will listen to student concerns and ideas. I will also support efforts to address stress, social and emotional health, and academic, athletic and extracurricular pursuits.”