Athletes commit to college

Four students have signed with colleges for sports, committing to play and attend the school for their freshman year.

Senior Kesy Platt signed with Sonoma State University, agreeing to play soccer on the university’s women’s soccer team.

“I love the coach, love the school, and it’s close to home, but not too close,” Platt said.

Platt said that she had been looking into several colleges before she signed on with Sonoma State. She was approached by the Sonoma coach during a college ID soccer camp, a program aimed at helping enhance the recruitment process for students. Platt committed to the school in July going into her junior year.

Senior Matt Baringer has also signed on with a school, committing to playing soccer for the University of California Davis.

“I chose [UC Davis] because I wanted to play D1 soccer and I really like the school and it’s academic program,” Baringer said.

Baringer signed on with UC Davis at the end of August going into his senior year. He received the call from the UC coach after the coach had watched him play in a tournament.

“The school showed more of an interest in me than a lot of other schools did,” Baringer said.

Junior Erin Greening has committed to play soccer for the University of Colorado Boulder. Greening committed at the end of her sophomore year and said she was surprised when the school asked her to sign on.

“By then I was talking to other colleges and I didn’t even know they wanted me,” Greening said.

Greening said that she also chose to commit to Boulder because she liked its academic program and campus.

“Overall it’s just a good fit for me,” Greening said.

Platt said that even though she knows where she will be going to college, it has changed her academic life very little.

“It’s not that different,” Platt said. “I feel like I still try hard in everything I do.”

Baringer said that because he knows where he is going, his senior year has been less stressful and has improved his learning ability.

“I focus less on the grades and more on retention of the material which in turn leads to better scores for me,” Baringer said.

Greening said that committing to a school has been a relief.

“I still have to do all the work,” Greening said. “But I feel a lot more comfortable at school and academically.”

Baringer said that because he has already committed, he feels like he has more free time and is able to focus more of his energy on improving his soccer skills.

“It took a lot of work to get here,” Baringer said.

Junior Colleen McNulty has committed to Miami University in Ohio. McNulty signed with Miami University after visiting the school with her dad.

“I visited during Spring Break and really liked it,” McNulty said.

McNulty said that she chose to sign with Miami University for the D1 volleyball program and the coach.

McNulty said that committing to a school has relieved a lot of her academic stress, however she still feels like she need to work hard in everything she does.

“I feel like I have to work even harder at volleyball because I need to get better for when I play [at Miami University],” McNulty said.

McNulty said that she is looking forward to playing for Miami University.

“I feel like all of my hard work for the past five years has finally paid off,” McNulty said.