Foreign language department implements online textbooks

Online textbooks have been introduced to spanish and french classes.

The electronic switch was made for convenience and the ability to do listening comprehension.

“When the option was presented that we could buy [new] textbooks or online textbooks, we decide to do the online versions,” Lewskoski said.

Lewskoski said that the online textbooks are equipped with more resources such as tutorials presentations, animated videos and powerpoints on the curriculum.

“The biggest advantage to the online textbook is the audio components,” Lewskoski said.

Teachers are now we are able to assign not only a written assignment, but can also assign listening and response work, Lewskoski said.

Leskowski also said that few issues have arisen, specifically with recording abilities, since all the different types of computers people have at home are not all compatible with the interface. Combining this with occasional bad web support makes the problem even worse.

“[I am very grateful] for the community and school district for making this program available to students who are interested in learning a different language,” Lewskoski said. “We spent a lot of money, but that money was well spent on this program. We already are seeing a difference in the way students are learning and performing.”

However, there have been mixed reactions from students about the switch to online textbooks.

AP french senior Madeline Elliot said that although she hasn’t had any issues with the online textbook, she prefers the print edition.

“I haven’t had any issues because I avoid using it,” Elliot said. “I can’t feel the weight of what I’m learning when it is virtual. I did use it once, and it worked perfectly well.”

French II freshman Alisha Lewis said that she understands why the switch was made, however, she does not like the new textbook format.

“I don’t like how I can’t flip through the pages, and I lose track of which page I’m on,” Lewis said.