School board weighs options for Alan Harvey remodeling

The Piedmont School Board prioritized its improvements for the remodeling of the Alan Harvey Theater at the school board meeting on September 25.

The board said that a bond would need to be approved or fundraising would need to be done if the Alan Harvey Theater is to be completely remodeled.

“Part of what we are looking for is to find out what is the interest of our community because this [project] would have to be community funded,” Board member Rick Raushenbush said.

The Quattrocchi Kwok Architects (QKA), the architectural firm chosen to design the project, has created a modern design of the Alan Harvey Theater.

At the Board meeting, Assistant Superintendent Randy Booker said “QKA estimated 10 to 13 million dollars in architectural estimates”. In total, the project is expected to cost approximately 14 million dollars.

Currently, theater conditions such as dim lighting, worn out seats, and flooring have become hazards to performing arts students and audience members.

“We cannot fix everything at Alan Harvey without a lot more money than we currently have, that’s just the reality,” Rausenbush said. “New seats would be towards the top of the list.”

Other potential improvements to the theater include handicapped seating, a new roof, and a black box theater.

Acting student senior Wes Dunlap said, “The main benefit [of renovation] would be safety, and behind that accessibility, since the new theater would be fitted with proper handicapped seating. The new theater would come with a side black box theater, which would be amazing to have.”

Dunlap said renovating the theater would greatly improve the performing arts department.

“Having a black box as a second working space would be extremely productive, as there can be times during the year where Alan Harvey is trying to balance three different productions around the same time frame. Having more space would help everyone.”

The School Board is looking for people in the community to lead the campaign for the remodeling of the Alan Harvey Theater.

If the bond is approved and the plan to remodel the theater continues, the Alan Harvey Theater is expected to be demolished in the summer of 2015. New construction of the new theater will then begin.