Anything Goes sets sail Feb. 6 to 9

This year’s musical, Anything Goes, will play from February 6 to 9 at the PHS theater.

Anything Goes is set aboard a ship going from New York to England in the 1930s. The plot includes passionate love triangles, much mischief, and a lot of tap dancing.

The audition process consisted of singing 16 bars of a song and performing a nursery rhyme in a different character such as a small child, truck driver or kindergarten teacher. There was also a group dance audition. Callbacks were made for some roles, but others were assigned without them.

Dance instructor Amy Moorhead is the director, producer and choreographer for Anything Goes.

“How the music worked with certain people’s voices helped us choose who would be a lead singer in the musical,” said Moorhead.

The leads in Anything Goes are seniors Claire Pinkham, Madeline Turner, Cole Becker, and sophomore Tyler Ellis.

Pinkham said that she decided to audition this year because she loves singing, dancing and performing, and that the musical is a great outlet for that.

“I’ve been doing the musical since I was a sophomore, because I always went to see my sister when she performed in them when I was younger and it looked like so much fun,” Pinkham said.

Students like senior Miranda Wiebe, who are not involved in the musicals, are also very excited to see it.

“Watching my peers dance and sing inspires me to do great things with my life,” Wiebe said.

Moorhead said that though it is unusual for sophomores such as Ellis to have lead roles, it has happened in the past.

“It’s not typical, but it does happen,” said Moorhead. “We usually give priority to the older students unless a younger student is clearly better for that role.”

Moorhead said that one of the neat things about the musical is that you do not have to be in a performing arts class to participate.

“Eliza Kauffman, for example, is not in acting, yet she came in to audition and blew us away as the mother in the musical,” said Moorhead. “It’s fun to discover untapped talent, and that’s what can happen in a musical audition.”

Moorhead said that what makes this one unique from past musicals is that it is set in the 1950s, so it will be very elegant and will have a very different dialogue and style.

Rehearsals are every Friday, F and G day. Leads, featured parts, and dancers rehearse on additional days of the week as well.