Alumni blog about college experiences

The College and Career Center hits the web with the PHS Grads at College blog, providing reviews from Piedmont alumni on the colleges and universities they attend.

The WordPress site, which the College and Career Center started in the fall of 2012, is a collection of posts made by recent PHS graduates. Currently, there are reviews on 23 different schools, ranging from Berkeley City College to University of Vermont, all categorized by location and type. It also includes a complete list of colleges and universities attended by graduates since 2011, and tips to follow when visiting schools.

According to parent volunteer Susan Kim, Sandra Brod, director of the College and Career Center, created the blog because, unlike advice from strangers, current Piedmont students share the same backgrounds with graduates and therefore, appreciate and trust their advice more, and can make more informed choices.

With this additional advice, they can make more confident decisions.

Alumni are encouraged to submit a post about their experiences on the blog, such as first impressions, dorm life, food, academics, professors, locations, and overall feeling about choosing the college.

Joshua Barza, who graduated from PHS in 2011 and now attends Johns Hopkins University, said he learned about the blog when his mother forwarded him an email from the College and Career Center, asking for graduates to post about their universities.

“I really enjoyed Johns Hopkins, and there’s not too many Piedmont students who apply here and come here, so I figured I would share some of my experiences in hopes that Piedmont students would realize what a great school it is and apply and come,” Barza said.

Barza believes that it is beneficial for both current students are graduates of PHS.

“I would try to get more people to submit to it,” Barza said.

Since the blog is new to the school, seniors Cole Becker and Jules Korman knew little about it. Both were aware of its existance, but have yet to visit the blog at: http://phsgradsatcollege.com/