Humphries exhibits train collection

The engine chugs to a start, pulling five boxcars, which range in color from cool teal to fiery red. The train heaves through a dark tunnel beneath a mountain as a skier observes from above. This miniature scene in the staff lounge gives a taste of Coach Humphries’s passion for train sets, which he collects in his garage.

Ever since he was a young kid, retired P.E. teacher, coach, and athletic director Mike Humphries has collected train sets.

“I’ve always liked trains,” he said.

Humphries’s dedication to his collection mirrors his dedication to the community.

Senior Megan Lee said, “[Humphries] has been coaching and teaching for a long time but he still has the same enthusiasm and dedication to his students.”

Humphries worked at PHS for 45 years.

Humphries’s interest in trains began when he was a young child. When Humphries moved to the United States from Canada he rode on a train.

“Maybe [my interest in trains] got started there,” Humphries said.

As a child, Humphries lived near a lemon packing plant. He had the opportunity to ride on trains while the lemons were being loaded.

Around fifteen years ago, Humphries was looking for a way to share his passion for trains with his coworkers. He started a biannual tradition: he hosts a Dogs and Trains party for PHS, PMS, and district office faculty and staff at the end of every semester.

Math teacher Doyle O’Regan said that party attendees eat hot dogs, check out the train set and sit in the backyard.

“It’s the social event of the season,” O’Regan said.

Economics teacher Gabrielle Kashani said that Humphries and his wife are warm, attentive hosts.

History and psychology teacher Alli Cota said, “[The Dogs and Trains parties] come at a time of year when teachers are feeling stretched thin. They’re a fun way to unwind and bond with the community.”

Retired math teacher Jackson Lay has not missed a single Dogs and Trains party.

“The neat thing [about Humphries’s set] is that it’s very personal,” Lay said.

Humphries started his current train set in 1996. He said that the layout, which he built by himself, fills his entire garage.

Humphries is unsure how many trains he has. “Oh my golly, it’s hard to say. I have quite a few,” he said.

But he has a favorite train, his Canadian Pacific Hudson, which he bought eight years ago. Humphries said that he likes its great sound, good-looking engine, and connection with Canada, where he was born.

The trains are set up on a two-story platform in Humphries’s garage. One feature of the set is a huge mountain with a ski lift, skiers, goats, and a train tunnel going through it.

O’Regan said that Humphries built the mountain all by himself.

“He’s a true craftsman,” O’Regan said.

Each area of the train layout is meaningful to Humphries and he has special names for each part, Lay said.

O’Regan said that each scene has a story behind it. “You’re seeing [Humphries] in that whole setup,” O’Regan said.

Humphries said that doesn’t plan on building any more train sets, but he hopes to share his interest with others.

“I’m pretty much done with the building phase, [I’m in] more of a sharing phase now,” Humphries said.

Humphries said that students interested in seeing his train sets are welcome to visit him.