People of Piedmont High School chronicles life at PHS

At the beginning of the school year, the Yearbook staff decided to launch new project for the students of Piedmont High School.  People of Piedmont High School is modeled after an online website called Humans of New York, which prompted Yearbook to create their own Facebook page.

“People of Piedmont High School is a really great way to integrate Yearbook into everybody’s daily life,” Yearbook sports editor Marissa Glick said.

People of Piedmont High School is a page that takes candid photos of random students each week and posts them on Facebook along with a quote from the student.  So far, Yearbook has fourteen posts on the page.

“The idea of this Facebook page is to chronicle students’ lives throughout the year,” yearbook editor-in-chief Max Canty-Hilchey said.

Instead of doing a big project that would only be seen at the end of year in the yearbook, the Yearbook staff has decided to do a yearlong project and share it with the student community. More than 350 students have liked the page.

One of those students, sophomore Tess Olcott said, “I think that the Facebook page is an interesting way to see the diversity within Piedmont High School.  You think you know everything about everybody here, but there are always more things to find out.”

Yearbook adviser Jody Weverka said the project was started last summer and since then has become a more vivid image.  By having all the stories come together on one page, the stories each person tells gives more depth to the diversity within PHS.

“It means more together than separate,” Weverka said. “It comes together to form a larger picture.”

The yearbook staff will continue to take pictures of students, but are accepting outside photos of students to increase the popularity of the page.

“This is the first time we have done this,” Canty-Hilchey said, “but I think that it will become a tradition within yearbook.”