Spanish teachers plan summer trip to Panama

Venturing to Panama, Spanish students have the opportunity to explore Latin culture over the summer.

“We’re taking [students] abroad to experience the language through the communities, through contact with people, and real life situations,” Spanish teacher Christelle Hutin-Lee said.

The trip, which runs from July 7 to 18, will be primarily composed of Piedmont students, with the possibility of Spanish students from other schools attending. The trip will cost $2000 plus an estimated $800 in airfare. Applications are due Dec. 6.

The week and half long trip, open to all Spanish students, will be led by Hutin-Lee and fellow Spanish teacher Joanne Guillén-Donohoe.

“There’ll be mixed environments, we land in dense Panama City and later go to the undeveloped archipelago,” Huntin-Lee said.

Starting from Panama City, the group will explore Chagres National Park via kayak, learn about native culture, then visit the Panama Canal, according to Global Works, the host organization.

From the city, students will travel to indigenously governed islands, where they will get the change to experience native culture. Returning from the archipelago, students will spend a day learning to surf, then stay with a host family in Paque Nacional Santa Fe.

“Students who go [to Panama] can expect a very different, but positive environment, than Piedmont. It’s very exciting,” Hutin-Lee said.

More information can be found on Hutin-Lee’s school website.