Mock trial suits up for competition

The mock trial team is suiting up for the upcoming January and February season.

To prepare for the competitions, team members are working to memorize and study the case packet. The mock trial team, which is split into prosecution and defense, meets three times a week as well as six hours outside of school.

“In the beginning of the season, it takes a lot of time,” senior Kevin Wu said. “I think on average each attorney has spent a good ten hours every week prepping and memorizing.”

Mock trial coach Dave Keller must also spend time focusing on mock trial. Since nine seniors graduated last year, Keller is preparing a new generation of team members who will work alongside experienced members, taking on the roles of attorneys and witnesses.

“My life becomes eat, drink, mock trial from October to February,” Keller said.

This season, the case is People v. Concha, the murder of a high school student who overdosed on Adderall and alcohol. In the regular season’s four competitions, the team will act out every part of the trial, and prove to the jury whether or not the defendant is guilty.

“It’s 50 percent law and 50 percent drama, so you have to be a little bit of an expert on what happens in an actual courtroom, and you have to be an expert on how to put on a show,” Keller said.

Keller is coaching with the help of an attorney and a judge. They provide insight into how real trials run, and prepare the student attorneys for whatever unexpected situations might arise.

“A lot of people think that we’re just reading off a script and have everything memorized, but no, there’re always lots of small things that appear on trial,” Wu said. “Spontaneity of being able to think on your feet is what’s exhilarating about mock trial.”

To do well, members need to learn to think on their feet, communicate well, and make persuasive arguments to convince the jury that the side they represent is correct, Wu said.

“My goals are really to make sure everyone is comfortable in their roles, they learn as much as they can about the legal system, and they have a heck of a lot of fun,” Keller said.

Like other scholastic team events, all students are invited to spectate the trials and provide support for the team.