Tutors support academic pursuits

Globally, the private tutoring market is predicted to surpass $100 billion before 2018, making it one of the best industries for an entrepreneur to start a business it in, according to a Forbes article in 2012.

“I can’t do this much studying without guidance from someone,” junior Abby Hansen said.

Hansen said she found a private tutor from Study Smarter, a start-up business that has grown since its beginnings in the late 1990s. It currently has up to ten full-time test prep tutors and up to ten part-time academic tutors.

“It’s so helpful and [my tutor and I have] become really close,” Hansen said.

Aside from grades, one of the main reasons why students turn to programs like Study Smarter is the SAT.

Junior Quinn Burnett and senior Adam Aune both found aid in tutoring during preparation for the test.

“The new techniques and approaches as well as extra practice has helped my skills on SAT type questions and on tests in school that share similarities,” Burnett said.

Aune’s experience was somewhat different in that he met with his tutor through Skype, and at the same time he did a course for SAT critical reading mastery on a website called udemy.com.

“My score went up by a significant amount of points, maybe a hundred,” Aune said.

Joel Kosakoff founded Study Smarter 17 years ago when he found joy in tutoring kids during high school and college. His company now employs tutors in all different areas of learning.

“If that’s what we can do to make their time more efficient, their life a little easier, we’re successful,” Kosakoff said. “Maybe an hour with a math tutor is worth two hours studying on your own.”

Kosakoff said he has seen how students are beyond busy these days.

“Kids are being pulled in all different directions,” Kosakoff said. “I appreciate having the privilege of working with Piedmont High kids because they’re so motivated”.

Kosakoff also said to be a successful, students must figure out how best to manage their own time and set their own expectations.

“It’s the ability to prioritize and make the right decisions,” Kosakoff said. “It’s knowing yourself enough to know what your capabilities are.”

For Hansen, Aune, and Burnett, hiring a tutor has proven to be a good decision, but there are those who oppose this system.

Junior Eric Mura decided against hiring a private tutor and instead acquired an SAT book to help him prepare.

“I prefer using a book because it works into my schedule and I don’t have to pay anyone in hourly increments,” Mura said.

Senior Natalie Phillips said it was frustrating because SAT preparations create a disconnect between a person’s scores and his or her natural ability.

“It’s ridiculous that people have to pay thousands of dollars for one test that’s one time, that doesn’t actually determine that much in the college process for a lot of schools,” Phillips said.