Literary magazine ‘The Highland Piper’ returns after two years

Piedmont High School’s literary magazine is back in production.

The Highland Piper, last published in May of 2011, is a collection of stories, poems, and other pieces of creative writing. Many stories are accompanied by student-generated graphics, usually art or pictures that are pertinent to the content of the writing.

“The magazine was created in 2007 to give PHS writers an outlet to display their work other than in the classroom,” advisor Susan Stutzman said. “We usually produced one volume every year, until after 2011, when I and the editorial board decided to take a break from making the magazine, because it is a lot of work.”

When creating the Highland Piper, Stutzman believed that all students needed a way to show their passion, because writers previously had not had that opportunity.

“Sports players have games, artists have art shows, musicians have concerts, and so on,” Stutzman said. “But if you are a writer, then there was no real way to show your craft, except in class.”

Stutzman and the editors, including junior Robbie Diaz, work together to gather the best content for the magazine.

“I got involved through Ms. Stutzman, and we started a writing circle which led to me being an editor of the Piper,” Diaz said. “We have a small group, so we all do a similar amount of editing on the magazine.”

Diaz also stated that it is tough to create a smooth flow in the magazine and fit the various types of submissions in

“Sometimes they are very long, and sometimes we get multiple from the same person, and we want to represent each writer as equally as possible.” Diaz said. “While it is difficult to put the magazine together, it is completely worth it and I really like seeing the variation and skill of all of the writers’ works.”

The sixth volume of the Highland Piper will be on shelves at PHS likely starting in May.