Teachers acheive National Board certification

Among the PHS faculty, teachers have received Teacher National Board Certifications, demonstrating their leadership abilities and excellence in the field of teaching.

This National Certification is an advanced teacher credential that requires commitment, time, and effort. According to the National Board for Professional Teacher Standards teachers submit videos of class discussions, evaluate their students needs, and present samples of students work to display growth.

Science teacher Marna Chamberlain said the certification requires four portfolio entries that are graded based on a rubric. Two years ago the teachers who wanted to become National Board Certified Teachers submitted one portfolio and this past year they submitted three portfolios in one year and took an exam. Chamberlain said the portfolio entries are all very different and one is focused on group discussions to show discourse.

Chamberlain said she had to show that she was a leader, a learner, and a collaborator so she would work with the community and show that she still teaches herself by going to Forensics lessons and academies.

“You are trying to show that you are an all around teacher and not just really great in the classroom,” Chamberlain said.

Chamberlain said she wanted to enter in this because she wanted to measure herself against teachers nationally but also because it was a great opportunity for her to work with other teachers from this school.

“It took a lot of time and personal reflection time. A lot of time went into just preparing,” Chamberlain said.

Librarian Susan Stutzman said she decided to try to be a National Board Certified Teacher because she wanted to improve as an educator. Stutzman said she appreciated the opportunity to be able to work in a group at school.

“Having this certification helps to differentiate you from others. The award has also improved my teaching. I’m much better at what I do now,” Stutzman said.

English Teacher Elise Marks said becoming a National Board Certified Teacher forces you to examine your practice in the classroom and reach for an almost impossible level of mastery in terms of what you have to make happen in the classroom.

Marks said, “It was the most valuable professional development I’ve done since becoming a High School teacher.”

Marks also said that English Teacher Rosie Reid was an awesome mentor and that they could never have made it through the grueling process without her guidance and patience and incredible generosity.