The camera clicks, modeling for fun

1381979_525964217498505_1625082593_nLights…camera…action!

Junior Rachel Hodgson participates in modeling for a fun hobby.

“I don’t model for a specific company, but I have done things at SF casting, an online networking site, and modeled for simple ads in San Francisco”, Hodgson said.

Hodgson modeled as a kid, and then started again last year but hasn’t gotten the chance to start up again this year.

“I mostly model just for fun. It’s a great hobby”, Hodgson said.

Hodgson said one of her favorite parts about modeling is getting ready.

“Getting all the make up done is really fun. I also love meeting the people [at the modeling studio]. It’s cool to meet other people who are interested in modeling”, Hodgson said.

The modeling business is not only fun and games, there are hardships that models face daily.

“It can be hard on your self esteem. Sometimes you’ll do something and the photographer will be like ‘I don’t like your hair like this. It looks bad’. You just have to be tough skinned”, Hodgson said.

Freshman Lea Rygg is also a model and recognizes the hardships that comes with modeling.

“The clothes need to fit perfectly, [which] makes self esteem worse, and there is the pressure to be perfect looking, which is the job”, Rygg said.

image 3Rygg’s first modeling company was Everybody from Norway. Then she got in contact with IMG New York and then Look San Francisco, which she works the most with.

“I started modeling when my mom wanted to be a photographer and I loved posing for her and the art of photos. I started because I thought it was fun, it’s like acting for me. You get into a role and play with the clothes”, Rygg said.

“I love being influenced by make-up, clothing, and the arts. To act the clothes out is so much fun,” Rygg said.

Rygg hopes to have modeling directing her throughout her life, but as a hobby, not as a main job.

“I do it for fun. It is my hobby and you get to see so much. Many people think that we get paid a lot, but we don’t. There is a lot you do voluntarily and to progress your portfolio”, Rygg said.

Senior Julia Adams also models for fun. She began modeling with company E models for one year while living in Japan. Coming back to Piedmont for her senior year, Julia is still on the look out for a new local agency to model for.

“I haven’t done many [modeling] jobs here, but I did a lot in Japan. I am working on independent modeling right now”, Adams said.

Adams said that while modeling in Japan, she became friends with everyone in the agency.

“Everyone is very friendly in the modeling business”, Adams said.

Modeling is not only a great way to make friends, Adams said, but also a fun hobby.

“I also think [that modeling] is a great way to show feminism because it shows that girls have power. It’s the idea that you can still be girly but also be strong”, Adams said.

Adams said she hopes to continue modeling in college as a part time job.

“It really just depends on how successful I am because it’s really hard to be successful in the modeling business”, Adams said.