Actors go outside of the box, expand skills

IMG_1126Like all activities, practice makes perfect. So when it comes to acting, many dedicated actors practice outside of school to enhance their abilities prior to the school year.

“Last summer I went to a place called Young Rep in Walnut Creek for a six week acting course,” junior Sophie Nadler said. “Since I don’t have a lot of time during the year, I thought it was a good way for me to practice before the year started.”

Essential talents such as use of voice, timing, and confidence were ingrained in lessons learned at these summer camps said Nadler.

“When I’m at school, it’s easy acting with people I know, but when I was with strangers, it was difficult acting at first,” said Nadler. But working with new people is also a good way of learning from them and making new friends.

Another actor, junior Amy Kelleher also took classes outside of school to build her abilities in acting.

“I’ve done acting classes at Stage Door Conservatory Theatre in Berkeley and some classes at ACT,” Kelleher said. “The classes are fun because acting with people outside of the school is a good way to see other actors at other schools.”

However, not all experience comes through practice. Sophomore Tyler Ellis performed in a musical called Urinetown at YMTC which helped him practice comedic timing.

“If a line is said too early or too late, it could destroy a hilarious moment,” Ellis said.

Additionally, the musical offered Ellis intense vocal training that was not practiced as much in PHS.

By taking classes outside of school, it allows students to learn the ropes before acting in school Kelleher said.

The end goal of acting outside of school is to learn new things to bring to the table in school and help other actors achieve their full potential said Kelleher.

“The main thing I got from an outside program was the people I met. Obviously I love the PHS acting class, but it was really great meeting new people,” Nadler said.