Athletes excel outside of school

reina fiachraA sport’s season can end with a final game or playoffs, but for the athletes their seasons flow right on through to their club teams.

Sophomore Chris Machle said athletes play on club sports teams to stay in shape, and advance in preparation for the next school season. Certain sports like crew and rugby are not offered by the high school, but they are popular club sports.

Junior Fiachra Collins started playing for Piedmont’s rugby club, PITS, in eighth grade, however it is more common for students to join in high school. His playing translated into football, and visa versa to keep his skills, and physicality up.

Collins said that training is not as difficult as in the past.

“Conditioning practice in the morning once a week, then practice three times a week,” Collins said.

PITS rugby season starts after winter break in January, which is during the high school winter sport season, according to the PITS website.

Junior Cameron Paton said he has played both club baseball, and club soccer.

“You can be more prepared for high school sports.” Paton said

Paton said he has played with two different club teams over the years, one with Bay Oaks and one with Piedmont Soccer Club. Compared to high school he said

“Bay Oaks practices are more difficult.” Paton said.

Junior Reina Lowe said that she enjoys playing club volleyball.

“It helps me prepare for the school season, and I make more friends from other schools,” Lowe said.

Juniors Bryan Ford and Dylan Miller both played for Piedmont Soccer Club this fall.

“I got to get in touch with my high school coach more.” Ford said.

Miller said she likes playing because she gets to play with people that do not go to Piedmont High.

Club soccer has the downside of it can be considered pay to play, and it is a source that colleges use to recruit players.

“College soccer, they don’t recruit for high school, if you want to play soccer in college, you have to play on a good club team.” Paton said.

Paton’s Bay Oaks soccer team was far more rigorous, but he wanted to join a Piedmont club team to be with the high school coach like Ford.