Anything Goes a smash hit

1545832_724191067614380_1537775552_nThe musical this year, Anything Goes, ran from Feb 6-9. It is an archetypal 1930’s music comedy that takes place on a ship. Presented at the Alan Harvey Theater, it featured a cast of 38 people, as well as 23 additional dancers and passengers, and even Lola, a dog. The play was about 2 hours long, with a 15 minute intermission in the middle.

Making sure the play would run smoothly, the artistic and technical staff consisted of more than 20 people, with Amy Moorhead directing the play and Catherine deVos directing the orchestra. Many of those on the staff were parents of students performing in the play and helped at the box office, photography, and provided refreshments.

Senior Claire Pinkham was the main female lead, Reno Sweeney, and received a standing ovation at the end of the Saturday’s play.

“I think the cast was full of energy today,” Pinkham said. “I was a bit sick, but hopefully nobody noticed.”

Junior Scott Ng played a reporter who took pictures of the celebrities.

“People messed up and skipped lines, but, overall, it was still an exciting performance,” Ng said.

Members of the orchestra also found the performance to be enjoyable

“I got to do a solo and it was pretty fun,” said Junior Trombone player Franklin Johnson. “The first performance was nerve-racking, but now I’m fine.”

Violin player junior Alex Krenitsky said that it was a stellar performance and came together well.

“After having rehearsed so many times already, it does get a bit tiring,” Krenitsky said.

Students and parents alike found the play to be enjoyable and well-executed.

“I thought the singers were all amazing and the chorus members were in sync,” junior Rebecca Havian said. “The play was incredibly well done and I didn’t notice any mistakes.”

Parent Vicki Diaz came to see her son junior Robbie Diaz play the captain of the ship.

“I think all the actors did a great job,” Diaz said. “They seemed like they had a great time working on the show.”