Sports Hall of Fame honors athletes

IMG_0415The Piedmont Sports Hall of Fame committee had its induction dinner and ceremony for this year’s inductees on Saturday night at the Claremont Country Club.

The purpose of the event was to honor former athletes, coaches, administrators, boosters, and community members who have not only excelled in their sport(s), but also made significant contributions to Piedmont athletics.

Piedmont Sports Hall of Fame Committee Chair Megan Hernandez said that the event was a success in fulfilling its purpose.

“The Hall of Fame honors individuals who graduated from Piedmont High School who have done something extraordinary, either as a booster, a coach, a student athlete, or as a community member,” Hernandez said.

The inductees for this year were Mike Humphries, Rosie Aguilera, Class of 2005, Jeff Haile, Class of 1977, Tom Henderson, Class of 1966, Buzz Redford, Class of 1959, and Rich Watts, Class of 1990.

“[Being inducted into the Piedmont Sports Hall of Fame] is an incredible honor,” Aguilera said. “I didn’t think I was good enough.”

Aguilera, honored for her contributions in both soccer and giving back to the community, said that it was an honor being inducted with some of the most influential people in Piedmont sports.

“There are incredible people here, and the support that the Piedmont community has [for Piedmont sports] is amazing and unprecedented,” Aguilera said.

People invited to the event included inductees and their families, boosters, coaches, community members, and selected student athletes.

“I feel honored to be invited,” said women’s basketball representative senior Bailey Thompson. “It means a lot to me that my coach thought that I could best represent the basketball program.”

The event began with socializing and was followed by dinner and speeches from this year’s inductees.

“It is nice for current athletes to see past athletes honored for their accomplishments at Piedmont High School,” Thompson said.