Mexico Magic reboots for 2014 trip

Bonding. Building. Bettering. Students will embark once more on the annual Piedmont Community Church Mexico Mission Trip this Spring Break.

The trip, consisting of teams of 15 or 16 people, led by two parent leaders and two student leaders, sends students out to build two-room houses for disadvantaged families in and around the Tijuana area.

“These houses allow families an opportunity to change their lives,” senior Jason Duecker said. “It’s a great once in a lifetime opportunity. It’s a lesson in giving and an amazing opportunity to help out.”

This year Duecker, who has been going since freshman year, will be going back as a team leader. Part of the reason he started going to Mexico is because his sibling had gone and loved it.

“It wasn’t even a decision,” Duecker said. “I just went.”

Duecker said that the trip benefits the students as much as it does the families that they aid.

“You gain so much from going to Mexico,” Duecker said. “It gives you a new perspective on life when you see these people who are entertained by things that would be boring to us. They are so happy that they are brought to tears with the small house we provide.”

Junior Apryl Hsu, who went last year and is returning, said that the feeling of accomplishment when handing the keys to the family is rewarding.

“It’s a unique experience,” Hsu said. “I have gained a sense of appreciation for what I have.”

Senior Ellie Forrester said that she too gains perspective.

“Living in Piedmont, many people don’t know what true poverty looks like,” Forrester said. “Going on this trip can be shocking and shows us how much needs to be done in our world to help diminish poverty.”

Besides helping families in need, Hsu said that it is fun to bond with people that she normally does not talk to.

“It’s the Mexico magic,” Duecker said. “No one cares what you look like, or if you’ve ever talked to them before in your life. Everyone is nice and spreads the love.”

Forrester said that her favorite part of the trip is bonding with her team and the family that they are building for. Giving the family the key at the end of the project is especially rewarding.

“It’s really nice because the gratitude that we have for the experience and the gratitude that they have for us is incredible,” Forrester said.