3-D art reaches dimensions beyond clay

3-D art reaches dimensions beyond clay

concentration1 IMG_2612Unlike the courses that lead up to it, Advanced Placement 3D Art uses more than just clay.

The class, consisting of merely three students, is a course that works with a variety of mediums and is unknown to a majority of the student body.

“AP 3D art isn’t actually a ceramic class so I am able to work with all kinds of materials not just clay,” senior Katie Hubert said.

Senior Maddie Wu said that the projects are a lot more complex than ones in previous ceramics classes, especially because they use materials beyond clay.

“It’s really cool to use different mediums. I manipulate everyday materials and use them as art,” Wu said.

The class is more difficult because unlike ceramics, no guidelines are given and time must be made to work at home, Hubert and Wu said.

“Also you have to complete 20 projects and turn in an AP Portfolio to the AP College Board for review,” Hubert said.

Senior Remington Schofield, the third member of the AP 3D Art group, said that despite the stress of the class at times, it is very fun.

“The class provides me with a lot more freedom than in past years,” Schofield said.

Schofield said that this year in AP he is not required to do the projects that Mrs. Simonds assigns. He said he is pretty much able to do whatever he wants, as long as he completes his concentration, which is fire.

“I feel like a mad scientist. I have to mix a lot of chemicals to create new colors,” Schofield said.

Schofield said he likes the class because he is free to explore whatever aspect of art he wants, and is not limited to ceramics.

“On the first day, I showed up with two giant bins filled with Legos, and got to play with them in class,” Schofield said.

As it is an AP 3D art class, students can make art out of anything 3D. That includes making clothing, jewelry, practically anything you want that shows off personal style, Hubert said.

3D Art teacher Mrs. Simonds, as well as the teacher for all other ceramics classes, said that the students are not alone, they are simply more independent and have absolutely no limits. They can take off anywhere.

“There is a lot of conceptual aspects to all of it,” Mrs. Simonds said. “AP has done all of that, now they are developing their own style.”

Similarly to the other ceramics classes, Mrs. Simonds said that the AP students still have to do gallery reports.

“I don’t give them assignments. They work on their concentrations and how they’re going to extend that idea,” Mrs. Simonds said.

Hubert said that she knew a lot of people who would have loved to take the class, but were unaware of its existence.

“If you really enjoy the freedom and creativity of art, AP 3D art is completely worth three years of ceramics,” Hubert said.

With that in mind, it is an AP class and a lot of outside work is needed to meet the class requirements, Hubert said.