Implement technology in class

DSC_0007Imagine: no more backpacks. No more binders. No more asking your partner for paper. No more running out of ink in your pen. Instead, a laptop or a tablet . Limitless words to be written. Limitless ink. Because with technology, the limit does not exist.

With technology developing to make our society stronger, changes need to be implemented in order to make an affect. I am tired of lugging around a heavy backpack, opening old textbooks with torn pages and someone else’s food crumbs, and running out of paper in the middle of class when I am taking notes.

Backpacks can continue to be used and worn; however, I would truly value and benefit from not carrying heavy textbooks, paper, and pens that run out of ink.

The solution already exists: technology. Other schools have already implemented the use of technology in classrooms. The Urban School of San Francisco and Lick Wilmerding High School have their students use tablets and laptops within the classroom.

On computers and tablets, students can read textbooks, type notes, complete worksheets, and work on group projects remotely. With access to what we now have as paper materials online, we will decrease the amount of what we carry to school every day. In addition to that, we will have everything stored in one location. Students would not have to worry about forgetting their textbook or a worksheet at home.

We already have chromebooks at school and iMacs in the library. We already have a computer lab. We have the resources, we just need to utilize them to their fullest capacity. With this we will save trees and save our backs.

According to the US National Library of Medicine, in a recent study done, heavy backpacks used by 11 to 14 year old children leads to scoliosis.

If we stop carrying around our textbooks and heavy binders, our backpacks will become lighter and will lessen the chance of back problems in later years.

Utilizing chromebooks and laptops in the classroom, notes can be taken electronically. Understanding that there are not enough computers at this school for each student, we can still use what we have. Teachers can share powerpoints on the projector then share the powerpoints over email or online that way students can have notes using paper. If students have access to computers or tablets, students need to utilize what they have.

There is definitely value in taking notes on paper. Students may grasp concepts more by handwriting rather than typing, and teachers may like grading more with print material then over email. However, with those who do feel confident in their ability to combine education and technology have to take action.

Teachers and students need to partake in this change. On both parts, everyone needs to be considerate and patient on the transition from print to electronic work. With technology, problems can occur, but if everyone is understanding that whoever is in charge is trying their best, the switch will lead to a positive learning environment.

We need to adapt to the quickly changing world around us. We need to take the next step. The next step? Abolish backpacks. Implement technology.

Contact Daniella at dmohazab@tphnews.com