Spring sports look to succeed

baseballBefore PE credits begin to take effect, athletes prepared for their spring sports in order to stay in shape and get back into the groove of the new season.

This season is sophomore Tina Lee’s second year playing Badminton for PHS. She has free played for three years.

Working out before the season began was recommended but not mandatory, Conditioning was at Witter Field and was running for 20 minutes led by the coach. This training began two weeks before the first day of official practice, Lee said.

“People think we do not work as hard [as other athletes] because we hit a birdie, but we have to work to be good,” Lee said. “You have to move, and have good technique and footwork.”

Senior Jules Korman has been swimming on the high school team for four years. He started swimming when he was nine years old.

Preseason conditioning consisted of core workouts and other activities 45 to 50 minutes every other day led by the coach, Korman said.

softballKorman said that his favorite part about swimming is the team bonding and he looks forward to keeping the team strong this year.

“Our team will be strong and we have a high potential to go to NCS as a team,” Korman said. “We have fun as a team.”

Junior Sophia Mills has been running track since sixth grade and this is her third season on varsity track. She said the track coach ran a general conditioning program before the season started on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays that was open to athletes of any sport.

“Most of the preparation I did was individual since I was unable to attend most of the official conditioning sessions,” Mills said. “But I also helped to coach a conditioning program for middle schoolers.”

The men’s golf team does not have organized preseason training, senior Austin Sun said. However, Sun played golf on his own in preparation for this season.