Strimling programs road to success

strimlingbwWhen the Apple App Store launched in 2008, Senior Will Strimling was drawn towards the creativity, profitability, and discovery that App store entailed.

Strimling was determined, and still is, to learn more about the creation of iPhone Apps and the programming required to create successful apps that he could publish on Apple App Store.

“I took a course in C++ on the UC Berkeley campus, and another in Objective-C on Stanford’s , both very complex programming courses,” Strimling said.

Strimling said he started off with basic apps to build his knowledge and experience on creating apps.

“Some of my first apps included widgets and small platform games,” Strimling said.

With time he developed his skills and began working on social network platforms. Strimling’s apps gained attention and clients and businesses would contact him to create iPhone apps for them.

When Strimling heard word of a “hackathon” in nearby San Francisco, he knew right away he was going to go.  A hackathon entails a large group of app and software producers gathering together over a weekend to create programs. Attending the hackathons Strimling began winning prizes due to his outstanding coding work.

Strimling said,“The prizes ranged anywhere from small cash prizes to Apple iPads, and in some cases actually meeting with investors who are keen on finding new apps to sell.”

The hackathons allowed Strimling to meet people he could do business with, many of those working with huge social networking sites like Facebook, and Twitter.

Strimling began contacting people involved in the field in search of working with other people who share his love of programing and coding. After a series of interviews Strimling was hired as a paid intern at Uber in 2012 when it was only a small startup, now valued at $3.5 billion.

“Working with Uber was a great way to put myself out in the business world, as well as gain a life changing experience,” Strimling said.

The next summer Strimling was hired at Change.org, a petition based platform that encourages political and social activism.

After gaining experience through working at Uber and Change Strimling is ready to take matters into his own hands.

“I am now trying to develop and build my own tech start up on the money I have made, the skills I have cultivated, and the relationships I have developed.”