Culinary Arts Class sees surge of student interest

With an overflow of sign ups for the new culinary arts class, counselors will be forced to cut the list, giving priority to next year’s seniors.

Counselor Chris Hartford said this new course is a year long elective that received a lot of interest from students.

“It’s very interesting how popular the class is,” Hartford said. “It’s a lot more than I expected it to be.”

Because of the large amount of sign ups, admissions took next years juniors out so seniors will have priority.

Hartford said even with this change they might still have too many sign ups.

“It’s a 7th period class and we usually get a lot of drops for that period so the number will probably settle to about 25 to 28,” Hartford said.

Junior Monica Woolcott said she chose to sign up for the culinary class because it sounded like a fun new thing to try at school and because she loves food.

“I’m excited about learning new things about cooking and food that I never knew before and I will get to do that with my best friends because they are signed up as well,” Woolcott said.

Junior Maya Kiruluta signed up for

“I hope this class can similar reasons. teach me basic cooking skills so that I’m not completely stranded when I’m home alone and I can be able to cook for myself,” Kiruluta said.

Harford said there are a lot of people interested because it is a great alternative to a standard academic class.

“It includes life skills and everyone loves to be able to cook food,” Hartford said. “Or even if you’re possibly interested in a career in cooking, this is a great class to start.”