AP artists display work in library, April 7-11

CP C5The annual AP Art Show opens on Thursday, April 10, in the library from 6 to 8 p.m. and will be on display throughout that week.

Art teacher Gillian Bailey said her AP art students have been preparing for the art show for the entire year. They have been working on their concentrations, which are self-directed explorations of their artistic interests.

Bailey said the art show displays what all the advanced art students have been working on all year. Bailey said she thinks the AP art show is particularly interesting because its not an assignment that she’s given them, it’s art that they were interested in and have pursued and explored throughout the year.

“It’s a lot more individual and closely mirrored to professional practicing,” Bailey said.

Bailey said the art show has a little bit of every kind of art in it, both 2D and 3D. Bailey said it has everything from photography to digital drawing, painting, book art and multi media work. There are very traditional kinds of art, such as landscapes and also new media pieces.

“This art show is a chance for the AP art students to celebrate their accomplishments and have them set up for people to see,” Bailey said. “They get to see people’s reactions and celebrate creating a body of work.”

Bailey said her favorite part of the AP art show is having students see their artwork up on the wall and being able to take a step back and appreciate how far they’ve come through the year.

Senior Miranda Wiebe said the art show encourages the community to be more artistic. However, Wiebe said that preparing for the art show has been pretty terrible because her concentration has changed five times at minimum.

“I’m entering some pretty bad pieces but YOLO,” Wiebe said.

C2Senior Eric Wen said it has been great working on the same thing all year long because it has pushed everyone to find new ideas, compositions and experiments. He said that preparing for the AP art show has been a lot of work and very demanding, and since a lot of the students are behind schedule, most people end up working at home for a few hours or more.

Despite all the work, Wen said he thinks the pieces are much better quality than they were at the beginning of the year.

“The art show is a nice time to display the products of all our hard work, and really ‘boast’ what students at PHS are artistically and creatively capable of,” Wen said.