Senior Ball buses receive mixed reactions

You have waited for this moment all of high school: senior prom. One cleverly designed plot to ask out your date, weeks of fussing over your clothes, and a few hundred dollars later,  the moment has finally come. You pull up in a stylish black limo… or is it a bus? Does it even matter?

The decision to require all students attending this year’s senior ball to take a bus is being met with mixed reactions.

Because the senior ball is in San Francisco, the Senior Parents’ Committee wanted to give all students the same experience in the relatively lengthy commute. This decision has led to inconsistent reactions among students, but sophomore Laine Ratzer, who is in ASB, is supportive. In years past, some students would take party buses and others would drive, Ratzer said.

“[It’s] so [senior ball] is equally glamorous for everyone,” Ratzer said.

Students will be able to decide who would be with them on their buses, and activities will be provided, Ratzer said.

Junior Oliver Groeneveld, who will most likely attend next year, is also on the Committee’s side.

“I think it’s a good idea because it brings everybody together at one moment, and you can talk with your friends when you get there,” Groeneveld said. “You can make sure that people actually get there and are on time.”

Junior Becca Havian, who will be attending senior ball, is impartial.

“I don’t really care either way, but I can understand why certain people are upset,” Havian said.

And many people are. Students that are against the decision are generally afraid that such a mundane experience preceding senior ball will ruin the actual event.

“I’d rather do limos and, you know, the traditional thing,” said senior Alec Sieben, who will be attending this year’s senior ball.

He believes that pulling up in a big bus will affect his experience at the ball, and is against the decision to force students to arrive in this manner.

“I’m not stoked on buses,” Sieben said. “Yeah, I think it will affect my experience a little bit. I think it would be cool to arrive in a limo with your best buds and, you know, your fly babes.”

Senior Kevin Wu, who will also be there, considers both options.

“I mean, there’s pros and cons of taking the bus,” Wu said. “But honestly if I had my option I would rather drive my date or take a limousine.”