Tumblr attracts expression

Not just a photo, not just a text post or a simple chirp of activity, but instead Tumblr combines it all.

Launched in 2007, Tumblr allows students to create their own blogs. Whether it be an aesthetic blog, comedic, or simply personal, students can indulge in the freedom of expression and enter a new world of art, emotion, and debate.

Sophomore Anna Morris joined Tumblr approximately three years ago because it seemed interesting and foreign.

“It took some getting used to but it’s really amazing,” Morris said.

She said Tumblr is really cool because it’s a place to collect everything that you find and enjoy all in one place, and and then customize your blog to make it exactly how you want it.

“It’s a little difficult to figure out how to use html and customize your blog, but once you figure it out it’s fun,” Morris said.

Senior Anna Sanford says she feels like Tumblr is a very expressive place as far as social media goes.

“It’s a place where people can share their interests, their art, their music, their political/social thoughts,” Sanford said. “Unlike other forms of social media, a person’s aesthetic is more easily conveyed over tumblr.”

Sanford said she likes seeing other people’s art and hearing their various social views.

Senior Maya Gulassa said she likes Tumblr because she has made so many “internet friends”.

“I’ve learned so much about feminism, body positivity, trans inclusion, slut shaming, and self love,” Gulassa said.

She said she has become a radical feminist from the things that she has learned on Tumblr.

“I read articles that have been posted by real sources that I never would have heard about from school,” said Tumblr user junior Frances Putnam.

Putnam said that on Tumblr she learns a lot about inequality and other awful things that are happening in different countries that are not televised.

“Almost everything that I know about sexism, racism, and social justice is from tumblr,” Morris said, “It’s a great place for people to voice their opinions and for others to learn from them.”

Junior Sophie Nadler said Tumblr has opened her up to a lot of different opinions about feminism and self-image.

“There’s a lot of different people expressing themselves through different mediums which is super cool,” Nadler said.

All four girls agreed that Tumblr is a distracting website.

“Since it’s like an endless timeline of new stuff, it is really distracting,” Nadler said, “I could sit on Tumblr for two straight hours and see all new things.”

Sanford said that sometimes people use Tumblr to indulge in private feelings a little bit too publicly.

“People sometimes use Tumblr as a diary and while it’s important to have a way to express your feelings, I don’t think the internet is always the best place for that,” Sanford said.

Gulassa said that a downside of Tumblr is that there is a lot of romanticization of self harm, self hatred, suicide, and depression.

“There is also a lot of romanticization of what’s called “thinspiration” which is  just encouragement for eating disorders,” Gulassa said.

Putnam said she does not know why people scoff at Tumblr when it is a large network of people, far and near.

“The “Tumblr feminists” is a phrase that a lot of people use to try and put feminists down as if they, we, are just teenage girls who don’t know what they’re talking about,” Gulassa said. “When in fact, a lot of those Tumblr feminists are super well read and spoken about feminist theories.”

Gulassa said that on Tumblr, there are a lot of interesting and controversial conversations going on.

“There are a lot of people who think that Tumblr only includes hipsters and people who post pictures of Starbucks and galaxy prints,” Morris said. “While there’s nothing wrong with that, many different people have blogs with many different styles.”

She said that it anyone can follow whoever they want and create their own unique aesthetic.

“Tumblr has taught me more about people in other parts of the world,” Nadler said.