Advanced acting students perform one act plays

Thought provoking. Laughter.

On Thursday May 15, and Friday May 16 the Piedmont High School advanced acting class performed two one act plays, first Eleemosynary, and second Black Comedy. Both plays lasted 45 minutes with an intermission in the middle, where people congregated and got snacks.

This year spring plays were student directed and Senior Julia Sweeney directed Eleemosynary, while junior Amy Kelleher directed Black Comedy

Eleemosynary tells the story of three women in a family all of a different generation. Senior Mara Blumenstein played the grandmother, Dorothea, junior Jo Ireland played the mom, Artie, and senior Maya Tellez played the daughter, Echo.

The word eleemosynary means charitable, which is what the play is based off. It is the story of the Westbrook women who all lived hectic lives.

In the directors notes Sweeney said “This play has been such a joy to read, dissect, and bring to life, and I hope that we can pass on some of that to you, audience.”

Following the intermission a new cast performed Black Comedy. Black Comedy is a play about a frantic night in a blacked out apartment.

Senior Alec Sieben said that he, senior Gabe Bolio, and senior Eli Nash wanted to perform a comedy together so Ms. Taylor helped them find something suitable.

The cast consisted of seniors Alec Sieben, Julia Pitner, Zane Haney, Eli Nash, Gabe Bolio, and juniors Sophie Nadler, Cecilia Soghikian, and Eric Mura.

Mura said he got involved in the play when the director, Amy Kelleher asked him if he wanted to participate. Mura said “ I played a German electrician, he was a lot of fun because he wasn’t a huge role, and I got to use a silly accent and grind on an art sculpture.”

Sieben said “It was a lot of fun because the whole cast was close to each other it’s fun doing a ridiculous comedy together.”