Teams train over summer

Instead of a relaxing cruise in the Caribbean or a backpacking trip through the Sierra Nevadas, many athletes will stay in town for summer training and conditioning. Although teams like football or basketball have already begun conditioning, other teams like cross country, cheer, and volleyball will begin training shortly after school ends.
Unlike during school, the summer gives students more time to practice, so coaches can prescribe more hours of training. Men’s varsity basketball coach Chris Lavdiotis appreciates the extra hours summer allows.
“It’s an opportunity without the burden of school or homework to improve players’ skills,” Lavdiotis said.
Freshman Daniel Jones expects to run six days a week, much like he did last summer, before the fall cross country season.
“Three or two of those days a week [will be] with Coach [Jeanine Bourcier Holmlund’s] running group,” Jones said.
The cheer squad will also meet over the summer, for four to six hours a day over a two week period, more than the two hours, three times a week schedule they have for the fall.
The team will use this time to solidify stunts, and practice dances said member of the cheer squad freshman Shannon Yan.
This time is especially important, because the team must be prepared and confident for the football season.
“We only have a small amount of time before the first game,” Yan said.
For basketball, open gym has already begun. The gym, which is open to all students, is a time when people can drop by, practice shooting, lift weights, and play pickup games.
“We’ve had some kids from other schools come up and participate,” Lavdiotis said. “We’ve had a ton of incoming freshmen participate. We’ve had anywhere from eight to twelve eighth graders come in for open gym.”
The off-season is critical for athletes, because by starting earlier, they can get an edge on the competition by being more conditioned with extra hours under their belt or miles in their shoes.
“Last summer was when I improved the most,” Jones said, who began running in middle school. “I’m hoping I can do it again this summer.”
Not only do players grow as individuals, but they grow as teammates. Cheer will bond over practice and food, while basketball will learn to play as a team.
“One of the best things about summer is that it gives a chance to build team comradery,” Lavdiotis said.