More to sports than football

dave-color

Football is overrated.  Did that catch your attention?  Good, well now that you’re here I’ll tell you what I mean.

Before you make any assumptions, I would like to point out that I totally support the football team and all of their fans.  Their games adequately show school spirit and it’s great to see how many people enjoy coming to these school events.  Having said that, I think that football is overrated, compared to other sports.

First off, how many times have you heard, “I am so stoked to go to that tennis match tonight!” And maybe the word “stoked” wasn’t used but it’s the idea that football is one of the only sports that students get excited to see.  Whether it is the big hits or big plays that attract fans, it is very uncommon to hear about sports other than football.  We should support other PHS sports, because it appears as if all the other sports are seen as second class when compared to football.

In order to get into football games, you can either show school I.D. or you can pay $4.  To get into a baseball game, the only thing you have to give is your time.  When going to a football game, you don’t have to worry about eating dinner before because there are numerous food trucks there.  When going to a soccer game, you might as well starve while watching the game.

I understand that football is a big sport in America. According to EPSN NFL, it has been the number one sport since 1985 after taking a poll from people 18 and over.  Where is the love for the rest of PHS’s sports such as basketball, baseball, softball, lacrosse, tennis and water polo?

Now I’m sure there are excuses for why those sports aren’t as represented as well, such as, “Oh the tennis courts don’t have enough seats,” or “Softball games are only during the day.”  But that doesn’t detract the fact that these sports are part of our PHS community and need just as much support as football.  We need to stop only praising football. Start recognizing the other sports that are underappreciated as well as underrated that deserve just as much attention as football.