Third win for Robert Yu

MonthlyCover1409

After winning one, he did not stop. After winning two, he did not stop. Robert Yu, Class of 2014, has won the annual East Bay Monthly Student Art contest for the third year in a row.

Robert’s painting, titled “Optical Beauty,” is a portrait of his sister, Chrystina Yu, whom he credits as a source of artistic and daily inspiration. Robert created his painting through a combination of watercolor and gouache.

“When I heard news that I won the East Bay Monthly contest for the third time, I was speechless,” Robert said.

Robert sees his achievement as a good way to end his time in high school.

“Two times was definitely enough for me as I was so grateful that my artwork was featured,” Robert said. “When I heard news that I won for the third time, I was so ecstatic, as this provided even better closure for my high school career.”

Robert’s previous winning paintings were named “Stroll in the Park” and “Keep it Classy,” made with chalk pastel and acryllic paint respectively.

Art teacher Gillian Bailey said that Robert’s success was due to the extreme thoughtfulness, planning and hard work he put into painting.

“I’m extremely proud of Robert for his success in art,” Bailey said. “He had a mix of creative ideas and worked really hard on his paintings and deserves the recognition.”

His original goals for the painting were well-planned and well-executed, Bailey said.

“His painting has a cubism theme, which is one of my favorite art movements,”  Bailey said.

Robert credits his uniqueness to his willingness to take on new challenges.

“Every time I painted for my concentration, I tried something new,” Yu said. “Whether it be a new technique, new color scheme, or a new angle and perspective.”

Robert sees artwork as a way for him to think outside the box and create something beautiful out of nothing.

“The first step to art is to never be afraid of creating or you won’t learn and get better,” Robert said. “You just have to put yourself out there.”

Chrystina said that Robert’s attitude in art has helped him as a person too.

“He has worked so hard in his art career and I’ve witnessed him grow so much as an artist and person through this journey,” Chrystina said. “He will definitely keep learning and growing.”

Chrystina said that she was more than happy that Robert painted her.

“It really means a lot and I’ll admit that it’s pretty crazy to see myself on the cover of all these Monthly magazines,” Chrystina said.

As a former artist, Chrystina appreciates the detail and thought Robert put into the piece.

“The painting was creative and had beautiful complementing colors,” Chrystina said.

Robert said that before high school, he never thought he would be as passionate about art as he is now.

“I am so thankful for my friends and family for encouraging me to pursue my artistic endeavors,” Robert said.