Mock elections engage students with politics

vote

While all students receive a vote in the ASB spring election, only a select number of students, older than 18 and registered to vote, will receive a ballot in this year’s midterm election.
Student voters will cast their ballots for the 2014 midterm congressional election, six state propositions and the California gubernatorial race tomorrow.
In the national election, voters will help decide who will represent the 13th congressional district of California. The district includes Alameda, Albany, Berkeley, Emeryville, Oakland, Piedmont and San Leandro, according to the House website.
Democrat Barbara Lee is the incumbent running against republican Dakin Sundeen. Lee has represented the city of Piedmont and surrounding areas since 1998, which prior to 2012, was part of the ninth district of California.
In a blanket primary held on June 3, Lee and Sundeen were the top two vote-getters, moving them to the general election with Lee holding 82.6 percent of the vote and Sundeen receiving 10.2 percent.
Senior Tristin D’Ambrosi registered to vote this fall after he turned 18.
“It is something that people do when you turn 18,” D’Ambrosi said. “In my family my sisters did that. It is something that I knew I should do.”
Voters will also vote for governor of California. Democratic incumbent Jerry Brown received 54.3 percent of the vote while  Republican Neel Kashkari was second with 19.4 percent of the vote. The two candidates were chosen by a blanket primary on June 3.
“This time we were given a packet, in econ, of the issues,” D’Ambrosi said. “I would have researched anyway because I like to know what I am voting for.”
During lunch last Tuesday, the civics class ran a mock election allowing all students to vote on the gubernational race and six propositions.
“Voting in the mock election felt powerful and like I had a say in things,” sophomore Lulu Tellez said.