Advanced acting class brings out laughter in The Foreigner

cast photoOn Thursday Nov. 13 and Saturday Nov. 15 the advanced acting class performed The Foreigner by Larry Shue. Seniors Tatum Burnett, David Ehrlich, Jo Ireland, Nathan Kruger, Walter Le Duy, Luke Smith, and junior Stuart Ashford had on stage roles in the production.
Ehrlich, who played the main role as Charlie Baker, the foreigner, said “Charlie was fun to perform. I have always been a ridiculous person so when they told me to be more ridiculous, it told me I could do anything I wanted with it.”
Ehrlich’s character pretended not to speak English while spending time in a lodge resort in deep Georgia.
The play pokes fun at certain cultural customs that foreigners might not be use to, like using utensils, and turns it into many laughs.
There was one moment in the play when Charlie, Ehrlich’s character, had a monologue in a made up language.
“Every single bit of it had a meaning,” Ehrlich said. “It was interesting to learn a monologue I was not actually saying and performing it.”
Essentially he was acting out a real story to made up language. He said the story was a spin off of Little Red Riding Hood.
Smith also said how much fun it is to perform a comedy.
“Being in a comedy is a chance to let loose and feel your character and the people around you,” he said. “Being in a drama is more about portraying people so being able to let loose is a lot of fun.”
Smith last year played the role of Jem in the drama To Kill a Mockingbird.
“The cast was amazing,” Ehrlich said. “Every single person was hilarious and nailed their character, making it a lot of fun.”