Piedmont needs feminism gathers student support

The pouring rain did little to dampen students’ self-expression as they participated in the Why I Need Feminism campaign led by the Feminism Club on Thursday, Nov. 20.

The campaign collected nearly 100 photos of students holding signs that explained their reasons for supporting feminism, ranging from the school dress code to unequal pay in the workforce.

“It was really inspiring to see everyone’s reasons at the campaign,” Feminism Club president junior Anna Morris said. “There’s infinite reasons. Everyone at the school could come up with a different reason. That shows why we need it in our community.”

Junior Maddie Copeland said that the the campaign brought awareness to issues that the club had not discussed.10807833_404408806380401_260302758_n

“It was really good to hear different perspectives because a lot of people who did the campaign don’t always come to the club meetings,” Copeland said. “It helped us shed light on a lot of things that we should talk about more.”

The Feminism Club held a similar Why I Need Feminism campaign two years ago at the end of the school year.

“We thought it was important to do it again to remind people about the club and get people interested in the club,” junior Saam Niami Jalinous said.

The club will upload pictures from the campaign onto Facebook and display them on posters throughout the school.

“Through posters and the Facebook page, we try to bring awareness to people who don’t understand what feminism really means,” Morris said.

Jalinous said that the student body is already beginning to understand the true definition of feminism.

“We think that people are just starting to realize that feminism is about equality,” Jalinous said. “The word feminist is starting to lose its bad reputation.”

Since its inception two years ago, the Feminism Club has grown from ten to 50 members per meeting.

“It’s really cool that we have such a supportive school,” Morris said.