New athletic director rolls in

Every day after school lets out, Athletic Trainer Tim Harkins can be found in at Witter Field taping up sprained wrists, squinting at swollen ankles and handing out ice packs to the countless stream of athletes coming through during their sports practices. There is a constant line of sweaty, limping people out the door while he calmly carries on with his work.

It is Harkins’s first year here at Piedmont, replacing Lauren Small as Athletic Trainer; and so far, he loves it.

“The kids have been great, the parents are very helpful and the coaches are extremely knowledgeable in their sports,” Harkins said. “It really has been an all around great experience working at Piedmont High School so far.”

Harkins’ job includes evaluating injuries, rehabilitating them, and preventing injuries from happening in the first place. He makes sure that equipment is used correctly and exercises are performed in a way that minimizes injury.tim harkins

“I’m really thankful for the coaching staff who taught the players correct mechanics to ensure a safe game,” Harkins said. “I credit the low incidence of injuries this season to their coaching.”

He also must trust his judgment when diagnosing injuries.

“I have to determine the severity and extent of the injury and further determine whether the athlete needs to be referred to a doctor,” Harkins said.

Rehabilitation means taking the injured athletes and doing therapeutic exercises to guide them through the recovery process.

Junior Connor Addiego, who often comes in to see Harkins about a wrist injury, said Harkins is very dedicated, usually coming to the field an hour before practice starts.

Harkins found his passion when he took a Sports Medicine class his junior year of high school.

“It was my favorite class,” Harkins said. “I majored in athletic training at Loyola Marymount University because of that class.”

Before Harkins came to PHS, he was a paid intern for the Oakland Raiders, serving alongside other athletic trainers and physical therapists.

“It was amazing working with the gifted professional athletes,” Harkins said. “Just like at the high school level, it was great getting those athletes back from injury and seeing them reach their full potential.”

Now Harkins is an employee of UCSF Benioff Children’s Hospital, but he is hired out as an athletic trainer to sports teams.

“I interviewed for a position to be a Certified Athletic Trainer without knowing what school it would be at,” Harkins said. “It turned out the job was at Piedmont High School.”

So far, the students are appreciative of Harkins’ work during his first year, and hope he will be continuing on next year.

“Tim is really good at his job,” Addiego said. “He’s doing what he loves.”

Football manager senior Katherine O’Brien said that she loves working with Harkins because he is willing to work together with her.

“I think he is doing an awesome job his first year and will make improvements for the years to come,” O’Brien said.